Monday, May 30, 2011

Can't Go to Bed; My Brain Will Eat Me

As far back as I can remember, I've needed a long routine to get to sleep. Even now, simply plopping down on the bed and shutting my eyes doesn't cut it. I could stay awake for hours on end. As a child, it was because I was aware that there were things I was missing; I think that's a common reason why children don't want to go to bed. There are still things happening, things to do. Bed is boring, and thinking is difficult and frightening. When we're left alone in the dark as children we begin to imagine creatures in the closet, or see shadows on the wall. I think that this combination of not wanting to miss out on what's happening in your absence, with the fear and stress of what your mind does when it's left to it's own devices is fascinating. Like so many things, we keep the same habits we had when we were children just in a more grown-up way.

Don't let the word "grown-up" fool you. It's just as absurd, if not more so.

When at a pub or a bar with friends I am usually the last to leave and I encourage everybody to stay late with me, despite whatever it is we all have to do in the morning. If some people are going out, I must be there and I have to be there for everything. I don't want to miss a damned thing. If I leave early, I become slightly depressed and start thinking about going back out. This is, of course, very unhealthy physically, emotionally and financially. Nobody can be there for everything and trying to do so will ruin you.

Just recently I opted out of a trip out of town with my brother to visit my sister. Earlier today, I decided not to go out with a bunch of friends to the pub (mostly because I'm broke, but let's pretend it's because I'm being responsible.) Both things would have been very enjoyable and I'm sure everybody had a good time, but I felt I should have sit it out this time around. There would be other times to see sis, and there's a weekly trip to the pub. However, as soon as I was left alone I began to worry that I was missing out on something fun or that I was letting somebody down. Naturally, we all want fun. It seems, though, that I can't handle not-fun. I'm not speaking of misery or even boredom, just a certain lack of excitement or social interaction. It scares me in a very unique and very weird way. It ties my guts in knots and I feel like something about my identity is threatened.

You see, when left alone I begin creating new monsters and they are just as bogus as the ones I dreamed up as a child. As cliche as this sounds, I'm beginning to realize that my worries are not based so much on what people think of me (certainly a large part of how everybody behaves,) but much more so on what I think of myself. I am not saying that I hate myself, far from it, but that for all the meditation I engage in; for all my exhortation to others, I still worry about other people's perception of me. I still get anxious about expectations. When I am with people, I can keep these problems at bay, but only for a short while. Eventually one has to face these issues and you can either face them and realize that they aren't even real (which is easy to understand intellectually, but not quite as easy psychologically,) or collapse in defeat and failure.

I feel like I'm making small strides, but as it stands right now, I am still truly afraid of turning off my music, going home and turning my attention inward.

3 comments:

  1. I feel you, buddy. I was always the last one standing and I'm still afraid of the dark after a certain hour. If reason doesn't bring you home to a peaceful place exhaustion will eventually. I went through an anti-social phase and now I feel like I'm balancing out. Ride the wave.

    ReplyDelete